Wednesday, January 1, 2014

In Defense of my Stubbornness

My friends, family, my bosses all call me stubborn.. The say it in different ways but it means the same - Stubborn! Sensitive as I am to criticism it does feel a little bad, and I wonder am I, is it bad? Can I do better... The cycle of questions to figure out if I am on the right track or not begins.. 

Sensitive I am but I am also a Narcissist :) This come to my rescue and I am here to defend my stubbornness, I now know that it is the best quality to have :)

In general I am stubborn to my viewpoint, this is the context I am called stubborn. In the context, the opposite of stubborn will be capricious, fickle minded and I am glad I am not the one. I do have views on topics and my views I form after some thought so I like to stick to my own comprehension and worldview. 

This stickiness I consider a strength which helps me stick to my decisions and own up, this helps me to put effort to execute to what I have decided, I stick my neck out to what I believe in, that's the stubbornness I have. What's the fun in living life and decisions of others, I like to learn on my own terms. Will I change my views, yes but with a lot of difficulty I need to have my worldview changed, I am trying to listen and observe better but change is albeit slow. I am at a position where I can decide so I like stubborn as I have accountability of my decisions, so unless convinced otherwise I like to stick to my views. I don't mind others to live as per their own conviction, I will not force my views on their life. 

To all those who are not stubborn I will say when it comes to your decisions be stubborn, don't let others rule you. You will feel in control and own up your destiny. If Gandhi was not stubborn to Britishers we would have not got Independence, if Mandela was not stubborn apartheid would have remained in Africa, if Mother Teresa was not stubborn she would have never stayed in India reducing the suffering. Stubbornness in some sense is also linked to perseverance and all leaders are stubborn... don't call me a Narcissist now please, I will defend that even better :). Be stubborn........

P.S. - Just wondering how these labels affect us, most do not appreciate the context and can out you down.. Stubbornness and Narcissism can be our shield with doses of self awareness and introspection.

1 comment: